The Windows® XP operating system includes a built-in
PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) client. This is generally a
high speed connection that involves hardware such as a
cable modem or DSL.
You can install the PPPoE client in the same way as
any other dial-up networking connection.
To create a PPPoE client connection:
- Click Start, click Control Panel,
click Network and Internet Connections, and
then click Network Connections.
- Under Network Tasks in the left pane, click
Create a New Connection to start the Network
Connection Wizard, and then click Next.
- On the Network Connection Type page, select
Connect to the Internet, and then click
- On the Getting Ready page, select Set up my
connection manually and then click Next.
- On the Internet Connection page, select Connect
using a broadband connection that requires a user name
and password, as shown in Figure 1 below, and then
- On the Connection Name page, enter the
service name that your Internet service provider (ISP)
provided, and then click
Note If your ISP
did not give you a service name, or you do not know
it, you can leave this field blank, and then click
Next. After you complete the wizard, attempt to
connect using the new connection. If you are unable to
do so, contact your ISP for the appropriate service
- On the Connection Availability page, choose
desired availability option and then click
- On the Internet Account Information page, enter
your user name and password as shown in Figure 1 below
and then click Next.
- Click Finish to complete the